Wednesday 16 June 2010

Annikki

June 2009

So this is Norah Gaughan's gorgeous Annikki, but altered in two important ways:

1. I used Rowan's Kid Classic for a pattern which was written for Berroco's Ultra Alpaca. The recommended gauge for Kid Classic is 18sts to 4" but I've always found it a bit loose like that, and didn't have any problems downsizing to 20sts to 4" in order to sub it. Both yarns are blends - Kid Classic wool and mohair, and Ultra Alpaca wool and alpaca. I figured both probably have a slight halo too, although I expect it's more pronounced with Kid Classic.

2. I wanted a size 36", but the pattern was only writen for 34" and 38", so I went for something halfway between the two and winged it.

I absolutely adore the end result. It's something I would have paid a lot of money for had I seen it in a shop a few years ago. And I made it myself. Yay!

This gets a LOT of use, but luckily Kid Classic really doesn't show its age in the same way other yarns can.

Pattern: Annikki by Norah Gaughan
Yarn: Rowan Kid Classic
Amount: 10 skeins
Colourway: 831 Smoke
Needles: 4.00mm and 4.50mm
Size: 36"
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment