Thursday 24 June 2010

Baby Bobbi Bear

August 2009

His name is definitely Gavin, regardless of what the pattern might have you believe, and he's an absolute legend.

When I took him to meet his new Mummy we decided to take him dress shopping with us, and his taste is just fabulous. And then he got dropped, which means that he ended up face-down in the street on his first ever outing...

Very easy knit, and a great way to practice using double-pointed needles. He has a bit of a ladder down his front where the DPNs gave me a slight tension issue, and if I were to make him again, I would probably use a long circular needle and magic loop method instead, because I find it easier to get a neat result that way. The scarf covers it up nicely.

I hadn't used an Alpaca yarn before, and this one was just gorgeous. I did have an issue with one of the skeins being frayed in several places, but the others were fine.

Gavin was stuffed twice over - once with a cheap stuffing sold in sheets at a shop called Boyes, and the second time with a slightly more expensive stuffing which came pre-fluffed in a bag from Craft Basics in York. The first attempt had come out horribly lumpy, which might be because I'm no expert at the sort of thing, or it might be that the stuffing just wasn't very good quality. I couldn't stand for him to be lumpy, though.

Pattern: Baby Bobbi Bear by Bobbi Intveld for Blue Sky Alpacas
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas 100% Alpaca Sport Weight
Amount: 4 skeins
Colourway: 503 Medium Tan
Needles: 5.50mm
Size: One size
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment