Tuesday 1 June 2010

Baby Surprise Jacket

November 2008

I discovered this pattern through ravelry, and absolutely loved knitting it. The way that something more or less flat and shapeless can fold into a little jacket at the last minute is so so clever. And the fact that there is very little sewing up required also helped a great deal!

I wasn't convinced that it was exactly practical it was to use a pure wool for a baby knit, but I loved the way this self-striping yarn looked in a BSJ. It does seem to have got a lot of wear, though. I'm sure it was lovely and warm, that's for sure.

I cheated a little bit and used a spreadsheet to help keep track of where I was up to - there are several available on various blogs. I also bought the DVD by Meg Swansen, which was great fun and very helpful for techniques like long tail cast on, which was new to me.

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Yarn: Twilleys of Stamford Freedom Spirit
Amount: 3 skeins
Colourway: Air
Needles: 4.00mm
Size: 3 - 6 months (46cm around the chest)
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment