Sunday 13 June 2010

Hannah

April 2009

This pattern reminded me a lot of another pattern by Kim Hargreaves which I had attempted previously - Calm. The yarn is the same, and so is the construction, more or less. Being loosely knit on over-large needles, and entirely stocking stitch, this was an extremely quick and easy project. The hardest part was probably all the sewing up, since making all the stripes line up was a bit fiddly.

The thick grey stripe at the top was a modification I copied from someone else on ravelry. In the original pattern the stripe sequence continued all the way to the top, but I thought that tended to make the wearer look a little bit pin-headed, if you can imagine such a thing.

I made a size larger than I needed, because I was worried about all those stripes being a bit unflattering if it was too clingy. This was definitely the wrong thing to do, since mohair (especially when it's this loosely knit) tends to grow and loose shape a bit with wear, so now this sweater is much too big. These days I usually go down a size for a mohair project, if anything.

Pattern: Hannah by Kim Hargreaves from Thrown Together
Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Aura
Amount: 4 skeins of each
Colourway: 751 Putty (cream) and 758 Steel (grey)
Needles: 6.00mm, 7.00mm and 8.00mm
Size: 38"
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment