Friday 4 June 2010

Sideways Garter Stitch Scarves

November 2008 and September 2009

The first of these scarves was a Christmas present for my brother-in-law, and he seemed to like it! The red/purple/grey colour combination in this yarn is just gorgeous, and very unusual, so I thought it was perfect for this scarf, which is all about sitting back and letting the yarn do the work for you.

This is more or less a dk weight yarn (22sts to 4"), and after a bit of experimentation, I found that 350 stitches or thereabouts gives a good length of scarf. It's nerve wracking not to be able to tell quite how long it is until you cast off though!

I'd already made a Baby Surprise Jacket in the blue colourway, and thought that one was gorgeous too. The second version of this scarf was for a ginger-haired gentleman, and so I thought this sort of colourway would probably suit him.

All of these were made on a 40" circular needle. I think it would be very difficult to hold so many stitches on straight needles. It's also a bit of a tricky cast-off with this project too - if it's any looser or tighter than the cast on, then the scarf will bend into a curve - I guess the same would apply to any sideways-knit scarf. I found that wet-blocking and pinning out helped even things out a bit though.

Pattern: Sideways knit garter stitch scarf
Yarn: Twilleys of Stamford Freedom Spirit
Amount: 3 skeins
Colourway: 515 Destiny (Red/Purple) and 506 Air (Blue/Khaki)
Needles: 4.00mm
Size: n/a
On ravelry: here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment