Saturday 11 December 2010

Selbu Modern

December 2010

This hat was born of a desire to make something a bit special for a lady who was supposed to be getting Kate Davies' Owls for Christmas, but then got pregnant and thus rather more difficult to knit for.

I'm still a bit of a colourwork novice, but this pattern was lovely and straightforward to follow. I used the Elizabeth Zimmermann technique of holding the main colour yarn in one hand and the contrast colour yarn in the other. My left handed tension still needs a lot of work, but somehow it seems to have come out alright.

The hat was wet blocked around a 10" table mat and then steamed using an iron and a damp tea towel, to get rid of the crinkles.

My cast on edge (using long-tail) was much too snug, so I'm afraid I bullied my husband into wearing it for a couple of hours which stretched it out nicely.

I'd definitely make this again - it's such a pretty motif, and I love the tiny stripe of contrast colour around the brim, which really frames the face beautifully.

Pattern: Selbu Modern by Kate Gagnon Osbourne
Yarn: King Cole Merino Blend 4-ply / Cygnet Truly Wool Rich 4-ply
Amount: Less than one skein of each
Colourway: 49 Clerical / 2066 Black
Needles: 2.75mm
Size: about One size
On ravelry: here

2 comments:

  1. I love this pattern. It's been in my mental to do list for ages. Maybe after Christmas I'll treat myself. Major points go to your husband's sacrifice in the name of knitwear. These kind of men are few and far between LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly recommended! I have to admit he looked surprisingly good in it...

    ReplyDelete