Thursday 30 December 2010

Tailored Cardigan

December 2010

This feels like the first thing I've made for myself for months and months - I think I might have gotten a bit carried away with all the Christmas knitting.

DROPS Alpaca is a beautiful yarn, ridiculously warm and brilliant value for money. The DROPS website offers great free pattern support too - I'd definitely use it a lot more if it was easier to get hold of DROPS yarns in the UK. As it is, I only happened upon this pattern because the yarn was bought for me in New York.

I modified this pattern a little - adding short row shaping at the bust and leaving off the buttonholes because I wanted to use a brooch I already owned as the fastening. Now this cardigan reminds me of a song by They Might Be Giants which mentions a 'blue canary in the attic by the light-switch, who watches over you' whenever I wear it, which is a nice feeling.

This was very simple very straightforward knitting, but it's going to be a very useful piece. It's not one of those "look at all the funky crap I can do" projects, but I am going to wear it a lot. And to my mind, that makes it a definite winner.

Pattern: 97-18 Tailored Cardigan by DROPS Design
Yarn: Garnstudio DROPS Alpaca
Amount: 5.5 skeins
Colourway: 4305
Needles: 3.25mm
Size: Small
On ravelry: here

2 comments:

  1. ..a little birdhouse in your soul .. *hums*

    Of course you know that you can get DROPS yarn from the Scandinavian Knitting Design company which resides in Berkshire and has a good online shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is a lovely combination of the shape of the cardigan and the colour and the garter edging and the canary. Just superb!

    ReplyDelete