Sunday 16 January 2011

New York Cardigan

January 2011

I first spotted this pattern via the Testing Pool forum on ravelry.com - and had I been quicker I would have loved to test it myself. I have a real soft spot for long cardigans, and for lace so this is right up my street.


Construction-wise, this is a top-down knit, but the front lace panels are knitted separately and attached using mattress stitch, and then joined to each other at the back of the neck. This means that it's not as easy to check whether it's going to fit as you go along as top-down knits usually are, and despite being seamless, there's quite a lot of finishing. The effect, though, is entirely worth it.

It's designed to be fairly loosely knit - calling for a dk yarn but a gauge of 17sts to 4". Kid Classic is listed as an Aran weight yarn on ravelry, and Rowan recommend a gauge of 19sts to 4" but in fact it works great at anything down to 22sts to 4", just like a dk. I've also been impressed with how hard wearing some of my other Kid Classic projects have been.

This is a discontinued shade of which I picked up in the John Lewis sale around this time last year. I thought it was just the thing for a leafy looking lace pattern.

Pattern: New York Cardigan by Erin Harper / Strawberrie Blonde
Yarn: Rowan Kid Classic
Amount: 8 skeins
Colourway: Cordial
Needles: 5.5mm
Size: Small
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment