Sunday 30 January 2011

Ringwood Gloves

January 2011

The Official Sexy Knitters Club on ravelry is currently having a "texture" themed knitalong, and whilst I umm and ahh about which of several eligible sweaters I'm going to make I thought I might as well whip up a pair of these.

I thought this was a pretty pattern as soon as I spotted it in the Deep Fall 2010 Knitty and since I needed a pair of gloves anyway, immediately queued it. It's written for a dk yarn, and originally I had planned to make it using Felted Tweed, but so many pretty variegated versions started to pop up on ravelry, that I changed my mind and dug this Freedom Spirit out of my stash instead.

I was happy with how these turned out, especially as I was very naughty and didn't check my gauge before I started (I just went down a needle size from the one recommended by Twilleys to get the gauge the pattern called for, because I usually knit a little on the loose side).

The only slight reservation I have is that tucking those bulky cuffs up into your sleeves is a bit of a faff, and I'll probably stick with tighter fitting, ribbed cuffs in future.


Still, it's lovely to see a traditional pattern being revived, particularly when it's available for free.

Pattern: Ringwood Gloves by Rebecca Blair from knitty.com
Yarn: Freedom Spirit by Twilleys of Stamford
Amount: 1.5 skeins
Colourway: 518 Desire
Needles: 3.50mm
Size: Small
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment