Friday 15 July 2011

Sabbatical

June 2011

This project is very aptly named - it's the most labour intensive project I've undertaken for about 6 months, and perhaps not the wisest choice for someone participating in a challenge to knit 12 sweaters in 2011. The amount of work is obvious from the pictures, but it is worth pointing out that this is what is sometimes called "true" lace with yarn overs and decreases on both right side and wrong side rows, and that's partially what makes it such slow going.

I just couldn't resist it, though - in a magazine full of beautiful designs this one stands out a mile in my opinion. Now it's done, it feels like it was worth every minute, but I must admit that relief at having finally finished it is the main reason I'm smiling so broadly in the photographs.

There isn't a great deal else I can usefully say about this. It's worked flat and sewn up rather than seamless. I didn't modify it like I usually would, because adding short row bust darts in an allover lace pattern is way beyond me. In fact as far as I know, it's impossible...

I'm not sure about the amount of yarn used because it was partially frogged from a previous project (and kid classic stood up to frogging very well, I thought).

Connie Chang Chinchio is a stone cold genius, especially for fans of lace, like me.

Pattern: Sabbatical by Connie Chang Chinchio from Twist Collective Winter 2009
Yarn: Rowan Kid Classic
Amount: 8.5 skeins approx.
Colourway: 831 Smoke
Needles: 3.50mm
Size: 34"
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment