Monday 3 December 2012

Poseidon

October 2012

There is a certain time of year when a knitted vest over a long-sleeved top is just the thing to keep the chill off without making you too sweaty and itchy. I made this for my son to wear during that time of year in 2013.


I loved the unusual construction of this vest. It starts with a provisional cast on of the stitches which will end up as the row across the back at which underarm shaping starts. You then knit up the back, over the shoulders and start working downwards, making the v-neck by increasing. When you get to the point at which the front measures the same as the back, you take out your provisional cast-on and join to work in the round, making it totally seamless. And you really can't spot the provisional cast on row when you're finished.


See?

I've always struggled with provisional cast on, despite watching more online demos than I care to remember. Just too much twisty turny. Then Amber Bertram pointed out that if you cast on normally with scrap yarn and just knit into that with your working yarn, you achieve the same thing. So simple it made me feel a bit silly.

This was a really quick enjoyable pattern, and I love the way the cables look in this two-tone yarn (I'm not sure what the technical word for it would be). I've completed one other project in Moods Duet dk, and it loved the look of it then, given it's a bit of a bargain basement sort of yarn.

Pattern: Poseidon by Amber Bertram
Yarn: King Cole Moods Duet dk
Colourway: Stonewash
Needle: 3.5mm
Size: 18 - 24 months
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment