Tuesday 16 December 2014

Olive

August 2014

I have a rather large stash. And a rather long list of favourite patterns on ravelry. They have both reached the point at which it's impossible to keep track of everything. But every once on a while the list of patterns I want to make and the pool of yarns in my available stash mysteriously intersect, and so it was with Olive.



Olive is available in long sleeve and short sleeve options, and has interesting construction in that the yoke is made first and then stitches are picked up around the edge and knitted downwards to make the body and sleeves.

I knitted the yoke flat and seamed it, since garter stitch is more fun flat that in the round (no purling). Other than that I followed the pattern as written but made a size which would give me less positive ease than was intended, as I thought it would be more flattering that way.


The main colour yarn is some very very gorgeous super wash 4-ply by Old Maiden Aunt in a colour way called Lon-dubh which is gaelic for blackbird. The contrast colours came from one ball of Noro Silk Garden Sock. As always seems to be the case with Noro, there were stretches of unappealing colour which I cut out, and if I'm honest all those bright yellows and oranges aren't really my cup of tea either. Used sparingly in such a pretty design feature though I think they look great.


If I was to make this again I think I would probably take a bit of volume out of the sleeves, as I think they would look better if they sat slightly closer to the body. Even so, I'm really happy with how this one turned out, and chuffed that I've got another handkint specifically for the warmer weather. There's nothing like wearing your own work all year round.

Pattern: Olive by Helga Isager
Main colour: Old Maiden Aunt Superwash 4-ply in Lon-dubh
Contrast Colour: Noro Silk Garden Sock in 341
Size: Smallest
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment