Sunday 5 April 2015

Transport Pullover

January 2015

I was in the middle of an adult sized single colour stocking stitch sweater when I signed up for this test knit, desperate to tackle something with a little bit more interest. One day I will go back to making something for George which doesn't have vehicles of some kind on it, I'm sure, but at the moment, of all the patterns I show him he does seem to favour this sort of thing. He has his eye on this one next.

This pattern was written for 4-ply weight yarn, and the largest size was 2 years. I though my little boy would love it, though, and so I offered to test it on the basis that if I used dk weight yarn, and made 6 month old size I would be working at a much looser gauge than the pattern was written for, I end up with something that fits a 3 - 4 year old.

My gauge was 24 sts to 10cm, and my schematic:

Length: 45cm
Chest: 66cm
Underarm seam: 26cm

The construction of this was really interesting. The body was knit back and forth to the underarm, and then sewn together to create a seam up the middle of the back. The arms were knitted separately and then joined with the body at the underarm, so that the yoke could be worked in one piece. For the most part the yoke was worked back and forth, allowing for one of the raglan seams to remain open and be fastened with buttons later. That made the colour work so much more straightforward, and it's a great help to have such a large neck opening when it comes to dressing and undressing.

I added an extra row of trains at the top of the yoke.

The main yarn was King Cole Moods Duet dk. The other colours were just scraps of various dk weight acrylics I had stashed.

Pattern: Transport Pullover by Pinar Ürün Sizun
Size: 3-4 years
Yarn: King Cole Moods Duet dk
Colours: Stonewash
Needle: 3.25mm
On ravelry: here

No comments:

Post a Comment